I was so excited about tonight’s meal! It was supposed to be Mongolia, but tonight is also my birthday and when I saw that next week was Greece, I just flipflopped the two! Greek food is one of my absolute favorite things to eat, and I already knew what we would make. This meal is one of our favorites. We have some friends who also appreciate good flavors in food, so we had teamed up last summer to make a Greek meal. We both tweaked and found recipes we liked, and the end result was this perfection. We always make Chicken Souvlaki, a Greek salad (I like mine without a lot of the veggies, so it looks pretty plain here), some homemade tzatziki sauce, and this naan type bread (it’s honestly more like a flatbread, but it works SO well with the other things). We eat it plain or pile it up in the flatbread and eat it like a pita. But the flavors all work so well together, and it’s a nice, fresh meal that doesn’t end up making you feel overstuffed.
This wasn’t a new meal to us, but one that we love. Overall, we rated it a:
Here are the recipes we use for the different components:
Mix the following ingredients with 1.5 lbs boneless chicken to make a marinade. I let it soak in the fridge for at least 8 hours. Then just grill and slice!
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TBSP lemon juice or red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
Add the following to a bottle. Shake to mix and then shake again before adding to salad.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix the following. Chill until ready to eat, and drizzle a little olive oil on top before eating.
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated (Once grated, squeeze out all the liquid. I use a kitchen towel or coffee filters)
8 oz plain Greek yogurt
8 oz sour cream
3 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt (sometimes I have to add a little more to taste if it tastes too bland)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh dill (sometimes I add more to taste)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
3 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 -3 cups all purpose flour
2 TBSP melted butter
2 tsp minced garlic (optional, but I used it)
- Combine warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl; let sit for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add olive oil, yogurt, egg, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir until smooth.
- Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead a few times on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl. Cover and put in a warm place to rise until double in size.
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6″ circle. Add a little non-stick spray or oil to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. When done, brush the top with melted butter and garlic if wanted.